Thursday, February 23, 2006

Strong Opinions No. 6 - Headphones!

I've heard that the most frightening thing a human being can experience is realizing that your perception of yourself is wildly different from way others percieve you. Well, contrary to my own self-view that I'm not a terribly opinionated chap, my GW compatriots have recently made it clear that I am a regular font of directed angst. They may be right--but I'm not giving up until more significant evidence appears. As it stands now, all they have on me is this:

(1) I don't like the panhandle of Florida.
(2) I am forever the enemy of whoever translated the movie "Witness" into Italian and decided it would be hilariouis to switch the word "Amish" with the word "Mormon." ("Oh, so you guys are the one's with the really long beards and no electricity, right?")
(3) I hang my head in shame whenever I see a hummer limo...
(4) I'm not exactly sure why Portugal exists.
(5) Ice Skating/Gymnastics

Frankly, that's not enough to change my mind about myself. But just to be sporting, I'll add one more to the list: headphones. Why do headphones inevitably, unavoidably, necessarily end up in an impossibly tangled mass that always takes at least three hours to unwind? You could leave them on your desk for 2 minutes and when you come back they will look like a boy scout troop used them to practice their double half-hitches. Something should be done about this. Nay, something must be done about this!! And I am not an opiniated person!

8 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 06:17:00 PM,

No kidding! That has long been one of my unanswered questions. I think the dust mites are more organized than we think, and they move things (like headphone strings and car keys) when we're not looking. 

Posted by Ariel

 
At 2/23/2006 07:09:00 PM,

Wow... you're a regular old Andy Rooney.

 
At 2/24/2006 12:08:00 PM,

Since I have the inside track, I feel a moral obligation to contribute to this post.

Other things Chris has strong opinions about:

1. Razor commercials (he actually mutes them)

2. Playing Christmas music, Christmas shopping, or just generally referring to Christmas at any time before December 1st.

3. Weird Mormons.

4. People who take things too seriously (ie, ask if they should bring an atlas to the final exam).

5. Popular music

6. CNN and Fox News, particularly Woolf Blitzer and The Situation Room

7. The New York Post - He LOATHES it--particularly the headlines.

And a dozen other things. Sorry hon, but I think you have officially qualified as opinionated.

In his defense, he has zero to no opinions about day to day stuff---what we should eat, where we should go, what movie to rent etc. I think that's where the "unopinionated" delusion stems from.

 
At 2/24/2006 12:21:00 PM,

for the record, i lost 17 points on my Civ Pro final b/c i didnt have an atlas.
-Sheldon

 
At 2/24/2006 12:25:00 PM,

Response:

1. I do hate razor commercials, but car commercials get me riled up too. I think if you're going to waste my time with advertisements, you should at least make me laugh. I have no problems with beer commercials.

2. Guilty as charged. I have to add though that I get generally annoyed when corporations exploit holiday sentiment for profit. It's ridiculous that Safeway has out it's easter stuff now. EASTER IN ON APRIL 16TH!!!

3. Yeah.

4. Yeah. But I have to clarify that I don't mind people who take things seriously. I take a lot of things seriously. It's when people take things too seriously that bugs me.

5. I refer to the quote by, I think, Duke Ellington: "there are two types of music: good music and bad music." I like good music and most pop music isn't good.

6. That lousy, smug Wolf Blitzer. He gives beard-wearers a bad name.

7. Yeah.

 
At 2/24/2006 03:23:00 PM,

I have to come to Chris' defense on the razor thing, since when did you need to go to a futuristic space laboratory to decide to stick three unnecessary blades on a razor? They are incredibly stupid. Car commercials too, especially the ones that tell me I don't love my wife unless I buy her a Lexus. Pop music is crap and I hate ecxessive Christmas music too. Rock on Beard.

 
At 2/24/2006 03:55:00 PM,

Just as a side note, not EVERYONE knows that Route 50 is in Maryland, so for some people and atlas would have been helpful.....

 
At 3/29/2006 09:09:00 PM,

Just as a side note, not EVERYONE knows that Route 50 is in Maryland, so for some people and atlas would have been helpful.....  

Uh, Route 50 goes from Ocean City, Maryland to San Francisco, California. It passes through quite a lot of the rest of the country on the way. 

Posted by Proud Daughter of Eve

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home