Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Let 'em Dance!

Back in August of 2004, when LYMA was a mere babe in the arms of its proverbial mother, I made the following post about olympic gymnastics:

"Ok, I'm no gymnastics fan, but I'll easily admit that it's one of the most athletically demanding sports out there. I mean, these people are flexible, agile, quick and really, really buff. Under Doug's post I complained about the women gymnasts to this effect: why can't these women just do their flips and twists without pretending to dance and be graceful. I do understand it's a requirement that they dance, but for me it really doesn't add much, and most of the dancing come across forced and not at all graceful."

"Let 'em dance, if they want to dance, right?? Right! But then, horror of horrors, I watched the men's floor routines. There was no music. There was no dancing. There were no wierdly protruding lower rib cages. All I saw were good old flips and twists. Now if this isn't a double standard, then I'm Mary Lou Retton. Look at Ice Skating for example - both the men and the women have to dance and fly and twist to do what they do. So which is it (here comes a "false dilemma"): are male gymnasts just too buff and cool to dance with their flips or is there a sexist expectation that men are to exhibit strength and women grace?"


Back to the "cooler" olympics. Here's my updated question on all this: why do we even need this fruity dancing business at all? Why can't we have people skate around and do their thing without the bedazzled costumes and femmy hip-twists? I admit that ballet takes an incredible amount of athletic skill; but that doesn't mean ballet is a sport. I think we just need to all come out of the closet and say that ice dancing is just art. Let's leave the rhinestones where they belong and only have real sports in the olympics.

How's that for an opinion?!?

6 Comments:

At 2/15/2006 09:04:00 PM,

I whole-heartedly agree with you. Some things are just art. Next up, olympic drawing! 

Posted by Ian Cook

 
At 2/16/2006 07:23:00 AM,

Chris, Thank You Thank You Thank You. This is almost word for word the post I was thinking about making. Great physical ability, I couldn't do it, blah, blah , blah. I realize that people work really hard and it isn't easy, but that shouldn't be the only qualification for an olympic sport. Unfortunatley figure skating is the highest rated event (event not sport) in the olympics, so it isn't going anywhere any time soon. I don't care how much work and ability it takes, it's just plain stupid.

 
At 2/16/2006 07:24:00 AM,

No Offense figure skating fans.

 
At 2/16/2006 09:39:00 AM,

"Interpretive Ribbon Dancing"

That should be out too!!

 
At 2/16/2006 05:05:00 PM,

I believe that it is called rythmic gymnastics, and it sucks worse than figure skating.

 
At 2/17/2006 12:44:00 AM,

What about "rhythmic beer keg throwing"? Would you be embarrassed about that?

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home