Thursday, July 26, 2007

Looking for 3 good reasons...

Obviously, my summer internship is far and away less exciting than all of your summer associate-ships. And to think of the exponentially less wages I am earning. Sniffle.

Well, beware LYMA lawyers: money corrupts. Look no further than any news outlet in America. Every nook, cranny, crevice, and corner of American sports seems to be hiding something awful, something corrupt, something greedy. The word "sports" fails to conjure up the memories it used to: "John Stockton from midcourt..." or the first year I snuck over to my friend's house to watch Superbowl XXV or cheering Sid Bream home during the 1992 NLCS.

Nowadays the word "sports" takes me to a place where the greatest bicycle race on earth is now a traveling joke. A place where the all-time homerun record makes more people shake their head in disgust than excited. A place where one of the world's richest men electrocutes animals. A place where the mob - THE MOB!! - has tarnished the integrity of professional basketball.

In short, sports are dead. I'm done. I haven't watched a single sporting event for 3 months. I was tired of the controversy last May. And recent events have only validated my decision.

Can somebody please give me 3 good reasons to care again? I'll even accept suggestions sent from your Blackberries.


4 Comments:

At 7/27/2007 11:46:00 AM,

Doug,
I think you confuse less exciting with less stressful and/or busy. At least from my perspective.

I don't know why you should care about sports, but here's a reason not to care: to impress people you work with. I decided to follow just enough sports this summer to be able to have coherent conversations with my sports obssessed co-workers. I fancy myself as someone who once knew sports so usually I can fake it pretty good. The other day, though, I slipped and my cover was blown. One of the partners even called me a "fraud."

Lesson learned. No more faking interest in things I don't have time to care about just to make sure I have something to say to people I would otherwise have know idea what to say to.

 
At 7/27/2007 01:14:00 PM,

Chris, that sounds like a reason TO care about sports, if it weren't fake no problem.

Seriously, I haven't cared about the NBA for a few years now (other than following the Jazz). Even prior to this sadly not that surprising revelation about game fixing the refs were a joke and control the game way too much. So I won't defend the NBA.

Rather than general reasons to watch sports (because that kind of depends on the individual)I'll try to give you three examples off the top of my head of some good things about sports (they are out there too, we just forget because all we hear about are the negative ones):

1. Jason Simmons-http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2946722

2. College football rivalries-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale's_%22We_Suck%22_Prank

3. I guess another one would be the excuse to get together with friends. I have a really tight group of friends back home and one of the things that keeps us in touch is fantasy football, Utah and BYU games, etc. Plus few things are as nice as going to the ball park with your friends.

 
At 7/28/2007 02:04:00 AM,

Chris P. - what are you saying, that I sit around all day, surf the web, and think about random thoughts to post on a dead blog?

Chris M.G. - great stories. It's nice to know that some of these guys are spending their money on good causes.

No more faking interest in things I don't have time to care about just to make sure I have something to say to people I would otherwise have no idea what to say to.

Great, now I have to give back my People magazine subscription.

 
At 8/13/2007 05:02:00 PM,

i didnt read the whole thing cause it was kind of long...but i see that you used a lot of big words...good for you!

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home