Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Three-Hundred Dollars to bring John Lennon Back from the Dead

Sufjan Stevens is coming to DC to play a free concert at the Kennedy Center next month and both Janelle and I love Sufjan and his wacky music. The only hitch was that you had to wait in line to get a hold of the free tickets last saturday. We didn't go wait in line because it was cold and because I'm trying to savor my last few months of uninterrupted sleeping in. Our thought was this: "free would be nice, but we could probably just buy the free tickets on ebay or craig's list for 30 bucks, so why be cold."

Well, I guess Janelle and I are not only Sufjan Stevens fans in DC and I guess we weren't suckers for sleeping in either because flocks of crazy people lined up ridiculously early in the morning for those tickets and a ton of line-waiters were turned away emptyhanded. Now those previously free tickets are selling for ridiculous prices on craig's list. This article says $300, but I searched craig's list and found people willing to pay anywhere from $90 to $999 for them. Obviously, I'm not as big a Sufjan fan as I though because I'm not willing to shell out $300 to see the guy in all of his glory.

All this got me thinking: what band would I pay $300 to see? To make my little game more interesting, I decided that I could ressurect dead and/or defunct bands to include in my answers. I was surprised when I could only come up with two - the Beatles and Led Zeppelin. I love U2, and have payed something like $80 to see them before, but I don't think I could pay $300 to see them again.

So my question to you is this: what bands would you pay $300 to see? They can be alive or dead. If you don't like music, then what performer or sporting event is worth that much to you?

4 Comments:

At 1/31/2007 06:08:00 PM,

If we can resurrect dead bands, can we see them in different times, because I would pay $300 to see Guns n' Roses in 1991.

 
At 1/31/2007 06:10:00 PM,

They were on tour with Metallica that year, can I just choose that show or do I have to pay $300 each, because I have seen Metallica already so I probably wouldn't pay it to see them again.

 
At 2/04/2007 09:54:00 PM,

This is Chris's mother. I always read your blog and enjoy everything you say (except I kind of skim over the boring law stuff)I just wanted to remind Chris that I went to a Led Zepplin concert in 1973. The boy I went with camped out over night to get the tickets and it was a pretty awesome concert.Pretty exciting part of my life (probably not worth $300) but not near as exciting or important as the new event happening in May. Being a first time grandma is way more cool than that Led Zepplin concert. Thanks Chris!!! ( I hope I didn't embarrass Chris and I hope your friends aren't upset a "mom" entered your blog world)

 
At 2/04/2007 10:20:00 PM,

Dear Chris' Mom,

My mother-in-law reads this blog - fear not. I think it's wicked cool that (a) you went to a Led Zeppelin concert and (b) you talked about it on this blog. There is a fine tradition in the LDS Blog community of mom's commenting on their son's posts - in fact, one of the most famous bloggers is Nate Oman, and his mom just commented on his post on his ConcurringOpinions.com legal blog - one of the most famous law professor/legal blogs out there. Word! We are all excited for Chris and Janelle in May. -Sheldon and Catherine

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home