Thursday, September 07, 2006

Out of the Woodshed...

So here I am fretting over the recent "letting-alone" of our poor, neglected Let Your Mind Alone, when I realized this: I don't need to impress anyone with a bi-weekly serving of witty pop-ologies held together with the stellar logic and brilliant prose of true cosmopolitan. I've decided that blogs (this one at least) shouldn't be an exercise in self-vanity, nor are they particulary well-built for serious intellectual debate.

Honestly, I'm not really sure what purpose blogs (in general) and LYMA (in particular) should serve. I do think, however, that some of you here (i.e. Chris G.) have a better idea than I do. While I've mostly seen LYMA as a woodshed where I can swing my psuedo-intellectual axe, Chris G. and others seem to treat LYMA more as a "community" (for lack of a better word). I usually won't post unless I think I have a remotely originial idea or observation to lay down, which means that I don't post very often and that my posts are usually boring. Chris G. makes a post when he has ideas/observations (a la not getting kicked in the crotch), but also when he's found a cool new website, and when he wants to show off his new fish....actually, now that I look over the past few month's posts, Cinci-sheldon, Taylor and pretty much everyone but myself treats the blog that way, like a community. Hmmm.

6 Comments:

At 9/07/2006 05:44:00 PM,

I really like the more significant posts, or at least the ones that generate some discussion, but when there is a dry spell it is nice to put something out there without having to force a post that is super deep.

 
At 9/08/2006 07:08:00 PM,

I think blogs can serve many purposes and can mean different things to different people.

Not sure what blogs you're referring to when you speak of an "exercise in self-vanity"... but since I recently complained about lack of activity on LYMA, it seems like it might be me. Were this the case, I would take issue with that characterization.

I see blogs as a creative and intellectual outlet... They are a release of sorts. I enjoy the give and take of the comments and I enjoy the ability to speak my mind on any and all issues. In addition to this outlet, I also think they do work well for a level of intellectual debate. While not certainly not the end-all and be-all of serious debate, I think they are particularly well-suited as a garden for ideas... A venue where someone can quickly post reactions or formulate thoughts and get feedback.

For me I like to try to post at least weekly because it keeps me thinking. If I waited until I thought I had a worthy idea, I probably would rarely post. As is, I certainly post a lot of froth, but I think I write more of substance than I otherwise would simply because I'm writing. I see it as a healthy exercise.

 
At 9/08/2006 08:57:00 PM,

marc:
I was referring to myself when talking about blogs as an exercise in self-vanity. Apologies if it was misconstrued to be anything else.

I think what I was getting at in this post was more that I worry too much about making sure my posts are spotless, worthy of true publication. I think I've taken the whole thing much too seriously.

 
At 9/08/2006 09:08:00 PM,

The Bloggernacle People like posts that are 1) short, 2) funny (maybe) 3) that have provocative headlines, even if there is no substantive follow up. If there is any reference (explicit, vague, implied, or otherwise) to sex, then The Bloggernacle People FLOCK TO THE POST. Just ask FMH...

The People are less interested in blatantly political issues, or uber-intellectual issues, unless you are a Bloggernacle Pop Star, e.g. Nate Oman.

 
At 9/08/2006 09:10:00 PM,

marc-
just to clarify some more, b/c reading my post over (with the emphasis changed in my mental saying of the words) I can totally see how it might be misinterpreted.

Actually, part of my realizing that I should treat LYMA as something other than an exercise in self-vanity came from my perusing your blog from time to time. It has the "community" (not the right word...i know) feel, that I've neglected in my posting.

Anyways, i apologize again for the miscommunication.

 
At 9/10/2006 10:25:00 PM,

Sheldon explained the conversations that led up to your post so I'm afraid I just misinterpreted your post. I understand how you feel though... just forcing myself to post is what got me over my OCD attitude towards blogging. Still probably spend too much time touching up my posts, but I'm not sure I'll ever completely suppress my OCD leanings : )

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home