Monday, September 11, 2006

Exposing Myself in Hopes of Reciprocation

I always love looking through other people's CD collections, it's loke looking into their soul. I'd like to know more about the musical preferences (and therefore the inner workings) of the LYMA crew. I think it would be interesting to find out what you all listen to after a year or so of reading your posts, it might also be a good way to discover and share the bands you all like. I wanted to start with my favorite song, but as I retrospectively search my soul (AKA ipod) I can't really pick one, there are too many and it changes daily. But never fear, I thought of another good way to share, I think that if I narrow it down topically I might be able to pick one.

For example, the best song with a girls name in the title is Visions of Johanna by Bob Dylan.
The best song with the name of a girl named Jane in the title is Sweet Jane by Lou Reed (closely followed by Jane Says by Janes Addiction).
The best song ever about friendship is With a Little Help From My Friends (the Joe Cocker version that is on the opening of the wonder years, not the a little too peppy Ringo Starr version).
The best song ever about lesbians is Same Old Situation by Motley Crew. The best song ever about songs is Radio by Rancid (or is it Let it Play by Poison).
The best song ever about war is For Whom the Bell Tolls by Metallica (barely edging out their othe classic One, which reminds me, the best song ever called One is One by Metallica, not that blaphemous steaming piece by that other band).
The best song ever about alcohol is Beer by Reel Big Fish.
The best song ever about eyes is Pale Blue Eyes by the Velvet Underground, Van Morrison's brown eyed girl is close, but he does sing the best song ever about a transvestite, Madame George, and the most romantic song ever, Sweet Thing (or Crazy Love, I can't decide).
The best song ever about suicide is a three way tie between GnR's Estranged, Metallica's Fade to Black, and Suicide is Painless (the theme to MASH).
Like a Rolling Stone is the best song ever about someone getting what's coming to them.

I could go on for a while, but let's hear yours, feel free to disagree or make your own categories, or just enjoy my fantastic list.

9 Comments:

At 9/12/2006 02:49:00 PM,

Some comments:

Best song about songs - Spirit of Radio by Rush.

Songs about suicide - Don't Fear the Reaper - by Blue Oyster Cult.

 

Posted by Eric Nielson

 
At 9/13/2006 04:43:00 PM,

I, too, am going to have to vote for the Cowbell on this one. Sorry, Chris... Don't Fear the Reaper it is. (Although I would have originally placed my vote on Jumper, by Third Eye Blind, which is the ONLY song I am capable of listening to by that group.)

Best song about a state: California Love by Tupac (slightly edging out Sinatra's New York, NY; but CRUSHING both the theme song to the O.C. and the title song to the musical Oklahoma)

MOST ironic song: Invisible, by Clay Aiken
LEAST ironic song: Ironic, by Alanis Morissette.

Best song about an alcoholic substance: Red, Red Wine, by UB40 (and I learned today that Bob Marley NEVER covered this song, contrary to what I had believed earlier). I think I would have to give a second place tie to Snoop's Gin and Juice or J-Kwon's Tipsy (but only the radio edit b/c it really is better).

Best Bouncyball song: Heartbeats, by Jose Gonzales.

Best non-traditional holiday song: Dave Matthew's Halloween song or Adam Sandler's Hanakkah song (or his Turkey song).

I'm also going to have to contest the best lesbian song and give it to T.A.T.U. for Not Gonna Get Us (because, hey, they're Russian).

Most annoying song on the web (and also incidently my iTunes): O-Zone's Numa Numa (yes, you may picture the dancing fat man now) or PopoZao by Kevin Federline (and, no, you may NOT picture the fat girl's dancing husband).

Best bass-line for a song: By The Way, by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Most likely to make me hungry: Banana Pancakes, by Jack Johnson.

 
At 9/13/2006 05:04:00 PM,

best ration of F bombs to Rocking, Killing in the name by Rage
best song names after a civil rights legend, rosa parks by outkast.
Best song to mantion Utah, friend of the devil.
best song to mention reno is not friend of the devil, it's folsom prison blues by Johnny Cash.
best song to mention the devil, shout at the devil by motley crew, (close second is broken heart ville by joe nichols)

 
At 9/13/2006 06:41:00 PM,

best mullet song I've got an Ape Drape by The Vandals
best seven minute hip hop semi instrumental, Spottieottiedopalicious by Outkast
best song with unintelligable lyrics (that for some reason makes me wish I smoked pot), Yellow ledbetter by Pearl Jam
Best hidden song on a CD, Eurotrash Girl by Cracker (on the album Keyrosene Hat)
Best song about the war of 1812, The Battle of New Orleans
Best song that mentions New Orleans, Bloodletting (the vampire song) by COncrete Blonde

 
At 9/13/2006 08:06:00 PM,

There seems to be a common genre with every song. What about favorite songs within each genre?

 
At 9/13/2006 10:03:00 PM,

Best song about immigration, Coming to America by Mr. Neil Diamond

Best country song, It's a Great Day to Be Alive by Travis Tritt

 
At 9/13/2006 10:09:00 PM,

Best reggae song, Simplicity by Sizzla
best techno song, Ping Island/Lightning Strike Rescue Op by Mark Mothersbaugh (from the life aquatic)
The problem with genres is it only works with genres that I am not too into, because with the ones I like they are still too broad to pick one.

 
At 9/17/2006 07:02:00 PM,

Pretty good list. This is a hard topic to come to a consensus on... A few thoughts (please take no offense in my frontal attack on some of your choices):

1) Sweet Jane... is it really better than "The Song That Jane Likes" by Dave Matthews?

2) "One" by Metallica is a better war song than "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

3) Not familiar with "Beer"... but "40 ounces to Freedom" by Sublime is a pretty good song about alcohol.

4) Most romantic song ever is too tough a call... can't say that I think Van Morrison's, as good as they are, are the best... "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds is pretty damn good.

5) How can you list songs about suicide and not list "Adam's Song" by Blink 182?!!

 
At 1/03/2007 05:35:00 PM,

This is a nice post. You should start some of these rankings on rankopedia.com

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home