Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thoughts on Political Rhetoric: Can't We All Just Be Americans?

Ok, I admit that my blog posts sometimes devolve into a griping session where what I write is no so much intended to generate discussion, but instead meant to serve as a platform for me to pat myself on the back about how well I can complain about another meaningless subject. I'll try and do better. But before I change my whining ways, I have one more thing to complain about:"the American people..."

Today, in President Bush's press conference, he said the following: "After September the 11th, I vowed to the American people that our government would do everything within the law to protect them against another terrorist attack." This is not a new way to refer to constituents, politicians on both sides use it all the time: "The American People don't want this...." or "The American People clearly believe...." This may seem petty, but can't they just call us what we are: AMERICANS? I wonder if it is some false attempt at creating unity, or maybe this is just how politicians see us. Instead of the plural "americans", we are the singular "american people." Maybe it's easier when they can say that one organism thinks one way.

But still, why do politicians think they can speak FOR Americans (see how easy it is...)? Especially those who represent only a single state and/or district? I guess a lot depends on how you view the role of the elected (delegate v. representative, etc.), but shouldn't they be doing more listening to their "people" and less talking for them?

2 Comments:

At 5/11/2006 03:45:00 PM,

Chris,

Come back to the fold. Don't fight the system. Acknowledge you are one of us - a part of the greater whole - "The American People" (TAP).

Something I find interesting is that TAP is wholly unaware of the quotes by Kennedy, Bush, Boehner, and Bernanke. In fact, TAP has probably never heard of John Boehner.

The irony is that these politicians piss off people like you, who actually care and pay attention. But your opposition (and the opposition of those like you - intellecuals, journalists, writers) plays into their hands. Face it, Chris, you're a whack-job, pinko Commie, and if George Bush makes you hate him, then that's reason enough for TAP to think he's doing something right.

So stop all of this crazy talk and get a job.
 

Posted by Doug Spencer

 
At 5/12/2006 01:07:00 PM,

I'm pretty sure TAP doesn't want politicians that "listen" to them... that's why they like to hear politicians say that they don't listen to opinion polls.... TAP want politicians who decide FOR them. Just b/c TAP grumble about politicians' decisions, doesnt mean they would be happier if the politicians were "listening" to them.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home