Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Marketing Scam As Big As The Ritz

The other night I was watching TV as I usually do and I saw a commercial for the Jewelry Factory in Bethesda. It had a bunny hopping through a lot of diamond jewelry on a table with a little jingle about buying your significant other diamonds for Easter to show you that you love them. This is too much.

First of all I should say that I think that jewelry in general is an incredibly stupid concept so you can take my opinion for what it's worth. It is only valuable because hundreds of years ago people liked shiny things and now the industry keeps up the guilt based maketing plan that tells me I have to waste our hard earned money on something that serves no purpose whatsoever because if I don't then maybe I don't love my wife as much as I should(I kind of feel the same way about flowers, but at least they smell nice and are a lot cheaper, plus my dad is now in the flower business). Not to mention the horrible effects that the illusory value of diamonds have on countries that produce them.

So now I'm supposed to think that on Christmas, Easter, birthdays, anniversaries, arbor day, labor day, etc. I should be spending hundreds of dollars on this crap? Don't even get me started on made up holidays like Valentines day. People I implore you, see through the lies, this Easter put back that $ 500 diamond bracelet that you were buying for that special someone and just spend some time together, color eggs, go to religious services, or maybe purchase something useful like lovely roses with things written on them from Speaking Roses in Salt Lake http://www.speakingroses.com/

4 Comments:

At 4/08/2006 12:49:00 PM,

Chris,

I agreed with everything you said, except...i have to wonder if your whole rant was ruined by your ad-push there at the end. Not that i think speaking flowers isn't a good idea.

Or were you just being ironic?

 
At 4/08/2006 05:58:00 PM,

I assumed irony, but I'm going to write a post on buying flowers. That is a good one. Once taught an elder's quorum lesson on it. 

Posted by Stephen M (Ethesis)

 
At 4/08/2006 08:19:00 PM,

I kind of realized the irony of my opinion half way through writing the post, I do think that flowers are just as stupid as jewelery, but it is less annoying to be pressured into buying $20 worth of flowers than hundreds of dollars worth of jewelery. Plus if you like flowers that much you can grow your own

 
At 4/09/2006 06:28:00 PM,

I'm thinking about writing a post on Elder's Quorum lessons - particularly the kind that are centered around buying flowers rather than, say, the Gospel.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home