Thursday, March 23, 2006

Law School Has Made Me a Drooling Idiot

Dutifully, I read what I'm supposed to read to get ready for class everyday. I highlight. I write notes in the margins. I spend a lot of time doing this.

Less than a year ago I was a intellectually curious fellow. I read lots of different things and then I thought about those things after I read them. Not so any more. Law school has sucked away that deep resivior of curiosity-juice I used to enjoy so much. I realized this today when I skipped over something in my contracts case book that the non-law-school-me would've loved to read, something I may have even read for fun. The reason I skipped it was not because I didn't think it would be interesting; no, no - it was pure pragmatism: there was no chance I was going to be called on and there was no chance it would be on the test.

How did I become this person who could care less about the ideas and philosophy behind things? How is it that I now drool over ridiculous things like "collatteral estoppel," "the statute of frauds" and.....................best of all..............."the rule against perpetuities"? The world is a funny place.

3 Comments:

At 3/24/2006 01:38:00 PM,

Ah well. I really enjoy practicing law and thinking about it. With any luck, you will regain that after your first six months of law school. 

Posted by Stephen M (Ethesis)

 
At 3/24/2006 07:06:00 PM,

I'm only just now getting actually re-interested in what I'm reading again - towards the end of my second year. It'll come back. 

Posted by Nephi

 
At 3/27/2006 12:56:00 AM,

I love practicing law. Sometimes. Tonight I write from my desk, so that should tell you something. 

Posted by BJB

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home