Monday, February 20, 2006

Do You Believe In Mildly Surprising Upsets In Sports That Nobody Watches?

So I'm sitting here on my couch watching the olympics, as I have been for the last four or five hours (I love Presidents Day), and the women's hockey gold medal game comes on. In the pre-game I find out that Sweden has upset the United States to make it to this game and apparently the US was favored. Then it happened, the foul blasphemer of a commentator had the nerve to compare Sweden's win over the US to the 1980 US win over the Soviet Union.

I don't know if the rest of you follow hockey like I do, but if you do you will understand the great offense that this caused me. The Soviet Union had dominated olympic and international play for decades before the Miracle on Ice, it's players were trained from the time they were fetuses (feti?) to play with machine-like precision. It was a bunch of college kids against the greatest hockey program in the world at that time. The US women's team has been around since '98, won a gold, a silver, and a bronze today. It is a far cry from a comparison to the 1980 USSR team.

Then there are the political overtones that don't need much mention, but that game sure ment a heck of a lot more to Americans than this one could ever mean to Swedes (especially when the Swedish mens team is still going strong).

I understand the need to hype up your programing, and I have no problem with women's hockey, but let's not go overboard. I hope you have enjoyed my post, I feel that it is the greatest piece of literature since War and Peace.

1 Comments:

At 2/20/2006 07:23:00 PM,

By the way, the swedish women got beat 4-1 in the final. In '80 the US men won it all.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home