Saturday, December 31, 2005

HCJDDI?.....How Could Johnny Damon Do It?

To ring in the new year, I have to comment on the continuing drama that is the Yankees vs. the Red Sox. I have to admit to being at least a little annoyed at Mr. Johnny Damon for loosing the beard so easily and sliding over to the "dark side" just so he can make a few extra bucks. But thinking about it, I honestly can't to come up with a reason why he shouldn't. I mean, in reality, he's just an employee looking to make the most money he can under the best conditions. When I grow up, I too hope to switch jobs as often as a better one comes around. Though I don't know why anyone would WANT to play in New York under that magnifying glass, I'm not convinced we should begrudge the guy a few extra bucks and a haircut if that's what he wants.

So given this, can anyone make me a good argument why ballplayers should owe any sort of loyalty to their fans?

4 Comments:

At 1/01/2006 08:37:00 AM,

Where does all that money ultimately come from?

 
At 1/01/2006 09:18:00 AM,

By that argument, I should be loyal to the clients of my law firm because the clients pay that firm the money that ultimately becomes my salary.

 
At 1/02/2006 10:28:00 PM,

I had a strong moral dilemma in a similar situation when Karl Malone signed a one year with the Lakers. Of course Karl took a pay cut and was only after a championship, (which I was secretly very happy he did not get) but he still abandoned us. In the end I cheered him when he returned to the Delta center. I guess it made sense for him, but I can't help comparing it to John Stockton who took a smaller salary than he could have gotten on various occasions and stayed in Utah his whole career. I love them both, but when it comes down to it I gotta lean towards Stock.

 
At 1/02/2006 10:46:00 PM,

I agree. Stockton was always a more classy guy than Karl, who seemed a Lousiana trucker through and through. I do wonder, though, how each would've ended up without the other....

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home