Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Happiness

I've been thinking a lot about Happiness. I know we've all heard the quote from Joseph Smith that happiness is the object and design of our existence. I'm pretty sure he meant that for everyone, even poor law school students and their families.

It's FINALs time and everyone is stressed, so that always helps, but there always seems to be this attitude of being happy LATER. I'll be so happy when finals are over, or I'll be so happy when I go home to my parent's house, etc.... Granted these are trivial things, but what happens when we say, " I'll be happy when we're done with law school." " I'll be happy when we finally have a house of our own." etc.... Don't get me wrong- these are fabulous, righteous desires. But at the same time, do we miss opportunities to be really happy, right now?

To add to that, is Happiness more than just a lack of envy? Or a lack of "want"? I want a new car, but does that mean I can't be truly happy now? One of my roommates from college just finished building a house and they are expecting a baby. I am excited for them, but also think that it will be years, maybe even a decade before my situation will be the same as theirs. I know we shouldn't compare ourselves to others, but we always do!

Anyway- I do want to be truly happy now. I dont' want to wait and be happy later. Any thoughts?

4 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 04:35:00 PM,

actually that sounds really bad- I DO want to be happy later, I just also want to be happy in the process :)

 
At 12/15/2005 11:29:00 AM,

Some of the best advice that I got before starting law school was from a good friend of mine who is a 3L. He said, "Whatever you do, don't ever let yourself fall into the trap of making law school an exception in your life. It will be so tempting to say, I'll spend more time with church callings, family, etc. just as soon as I finish law school. But don't let law school be an excuse for doing what you need to do." Every time I catch myself looking to far beyond the horizon at the expense of the present I try to remind myself of that advice. If my happiness seems to solely based on the occurence of future things, how hard is it going to be for me if I have to put up with unforeseen hardship along the way.

 
At 12/16/2005 12:51:00 PM,

That is really great advice! I remember being told on the mission "don't wish away your mission" or in other words, don't wait or wish for things that you can't have right now. We lose so much in the present when we focus soley on the future.

 
At 12/31/2005 12:47:00 PM,

Happiness is a by-product of love.
If what you do, day in and day out, is love God by keeping his commandments and love your fellow-beings by serving them instead of yourself, the happiness will be within you like the fruit of the tree of life (the love of God). Happiness is not what happens to you. Rather, it's a by-product of what you do for others. Not complicated at all, but one can easily be led to look for happiness in all the wrong places.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home