Thursday, February 17, 2005

This post is brought to you by the letter....."L".

L is for liberal, that's good enough for me.

The headlines on the front page of the NY Times today read as follows: "Conservatives and Rivals Press a Struggling PBS"

To no one's surprise, PBS isn't doing so well. I'm ok with that. What bugs me is that "republicans criticize the programming as elitist and liberal." Yes, these value-packed conservatives don't want any of that elitist crap. They want family shows, shows for the average american, shows that reflect our traditional values. They want quality TV like "the Swan" or "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss". Even better, they want shows like "Desperate Housewives".

I, for one, feel warped and cheated out of a childhood. I mean to think of the time I wasted watching "Sesame Street" and "Mr. Rodgers" (each brainwashing into the raging liberal I am today!!?!). I could've been so much more enlightened by the real-life scenarios of "Dallas" and "Miami Vice".

Here's to hypocracy!!!

1 Comments:

At 2/18/2005 06:54:00 PM,

If PBS were in fact a droning liberal foghorn despite its government funding, I would understand the complaints of the conservatives as cited in the NYT article. But the truth is that little of its programming is overtly political, and when it is, it strives to present several sides to each issue. I would bet good money that most of the conservative voices cited in the article don't watch PBS at all; they simply hear its occasional unusually liberal comments secondhand and out of context via the conservative Media Research Center, Rush Limbaugh, or any of those stupid, stupid chain emails that come across my ward listserv from time to time. When all they know about PBS comes secondhand and out-of-context from sources like that, they will naturally have warped opinions. (To be fair, this phenomenon is similar to how liberals form uninformed negative opinions of Fox News.)

Furthermore, the political climate in this country has shifted much in the past five years; it is very possible that PBS programming, to the extent that it espouses political viewpoints, has stayed in place while everyone else moved to the right. For example, if I were to quote Newt Gingrich on balancing the budget circa 1995, or George Bush I on foreign policy circa 1991, without citing the sources, I could easily be denouced as a hippie crackpot who hates America.

Finally, from the standpoint of public relations, the highest goal of the current administration is to obfuscate (employment figures, the costs of the wars, the reasons for the wars, the extent of the Social Security "crisis," etc). As long as PBS can remain a venue for unfettered discourse, it will certainly be a thorn in the side of many conservatives - a thorn that liberals would do well to defend.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home