Wednesday, August 18, 2004

titles are the hardest part

I'm pushing the limits of our friendship, but this is stolen from an e-conversation Jason and I had recently. I didn't ask him if I could do this, but I figured since he's now on his way back to his 2nd year at law school, he'll be busy enough not to notice.

Here it is:

This thought came to first as the instinctual question at the death of an Apostle: Who will take his place in the Quorum? Rather than elencate my favorite Seventies (based, like most people, entirely on their occasional General Conference addresses or rarely a little personal knowledge about their career or interests), I wanted to pose the question, why does this instinct arise in me, if not in many Latter-day Saints? Is it appropriate religiously--if I guess right, am I more in tune than somebody who guesses a Seventy that will be made emeritus next Conference, or a naive boy who avers it will be a certain very old and fragile if once lively and prolific liberal BYU professor? Does it promote the clear (or what is the) doctrinal view of how we as members should approach church leadership and church leaders? Not least of all these concerns, is it a disrespect to the man that gave up the years of his retirement and family reunions for the membership to whisper about who they think is next? Or is this too PC--should I not let the guessing game get to me? [there's an alliteration in memoriam].

(Many apologies, Jason, but I thought you raise some good issues.)


0 Comments:

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home