Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Napoleon Dynamite

Napoleon Dynamite is the funniest film I have seen in a long time.  I wouldn't just recommend it because it's made by an LDS filmmaker.  I, for one, am tired of movies that can only survive off of inside jokes taken from LDS culture.  I think they isolate us from the rest of the world.  The closest LDS reference this film makes is the appearance of a Ricks College t-shirt.  This filmmaker's restraint to not capitalize on his membership in the church is enough cause to see this one.  But mostly, I'd recommend it because it's hilarious.  Be prepared to laugh at the bizarreness of others (A little Schadenfreude is okay every now and then).

2 Comments:

At 8/01/2004 03:42:00 AM,

Mark, I know the heartache of having a post neglected and waiting for comments that are late, or that may not come at all.

I saw the movie, but a developed an incredible headache during the first 10 minutes, which I probably childishly attributed to the movie sucking. Which it probably doesn't, but don't try watching it with a bad headache.

In tainted retrospect, it had some good and funny moments and stuff that was worth seeing. My favorite was the quasi-inexplicable line "I caught you a delicious bass." Smooth, and ice cold.

Um, I was relieved at the pretty utter lack of LDS other-worldliness to the film. I have sat through singles ward, rm, and god's army but no other LDS films. RM especially was a physically painful experience--that one jerkface guy that starred as the comedian in singles ward especially just urks me, unrationally so, but i can't help being urked. I chalk it all up to the moment when one of these guys won "Funniest Male Ward Member" in their provo singles ward year-end popularity, and they took that as a challenge and an honor that they needed to live up to from that day on.

But Napoleon Dynamite, despite my headache, didn't make me question the sanity of my coreligionists. (I really hope no one responsible for those movies is on this blog...) Have you seen _Rushmore_? That movie, for me, perfects the genre of high school eccentric--it's got it all, not the least of which is Bill Murray. That sentence may spawn a post about the taboo of R-rated movies, I acknowledge that, but I love that movie. It does for wanna be creative writing/art/theatre high school guys what Holden Caulfield in _Catcher in the Rye_ did for wanna be rebelious youth. Showing you the you that you are not but in some ways want to be. I see influence there on Napoleon.

 
At 8/03/2004 03:54:00 PM,

Didn't get around to Rushmore. I'll put it on my list. Maybe there's a "Cleanflicks" version (despite my objections to the idea behind that business).

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home