Saturday, April 22, 2006

Democrat Mormons: following Satan's Plan???

It has been a long time. Basically, I am posting here because I lost Chris P.'s email address so I thought I would share this with him and you via blog. If you are looking for a good laugh, check out this website: http://www.byupoliticalreview.com/ and read the article "Why Mormons Shouldn't Be Democrats" by Amy Worthington. If you want, check out the PDF version so you can at least see her face and coy smile. It is a hilarious piece I think. But enough about that. Amy Worthington, author of this piece, was once known in certain circles as "Amy Dry Cleaner," We had a brief romantic encounter last summer and several politcal conversations. So I decided to write a little rebuttal to this thing.

actually a more direct link is here

This link gives her article then a bunch of replies. Mine is long, and is in two parts about 20 comments down. Sadly, the print edition is closed down until next fall, so they couldn't print my rebuttal. They only posted it on the Comments Forum.

Besides the kind of asenine jokes I indulged in (intended in good fun), I am making an actually sincere and serious statement about how I like other people to treat my religion, especially when telling me what I should and should not do.

7 Comments:

At 4/22/2006 10:04:00 PM,

Jason,

That is absolutely hilarious. I read her piece, and your response. HILARIOUS.

 
At 4/22/2006 11:14:00 PM,

Jason,
The woman's article was mind-boggling absurd. The only think keeping me from my usual "BYU-is- the-strangest-place-on-the-face-of the-planet" rant was your response.

Well done!!

 
At 4/23/2006 10:27:00 AM,

I am an active member of the LDS church and a rabid fan of the University of Utah. I turned down a scholarship to BYU so that I could pay to go to the U, then I actually spent a year at BYU, during which I attended many sporting events dressed prominantly in the colors of the opposing team. Many of my cougar friends(and some of my best friends are)sometimes ask how someone who is active in the church, and even pays tithing that supports BYU, can not feel some allegiance to the churches biggest school. Amy has given me a perfect example of why I feel the way I do about the school down south.
At least there were lots of people to notice how asenine her article was, a saving grace in opposition to the daily universe.

 
At 4/23/2006 11:27:00 AM,

This is an interesting article that ran in the Utah daily chronicle a while back

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/media/storage/paper244/news/2004/04/14/Opinion/Im.A-Democrat.Because.Im.A.Mormon-659584.shtml?norewrite200604231124&sourcedomain=www.dailyutahchronicle.com

 
At 4/24/2006 12:36:00 PM,

Jason,

Welcome back. We've missed you.

When I read stories like this, I wonder if my college experience was out of the ordinary, or if BYU really is as strange as it seems.

Although I grew up in Provo, I was never privy to the inside of Cougartown. Most of the crazy stories I heard about BYU were at least 2nd hand, I so I just dismissed them as urban myth.

Obviously, Amy is an Ezra Benson devotee. However, this article (sarcastic or not) is appalling.

 
At 4/24/2006 10:13:00 PM,

Chris and Sheldon, thanks for your replies. I am glad you two enjoyed my little ditty. It probably makes the hours I wasted during the finals period of my last semester of law school worthwhile.

 

Posted by Jason Knapp

 
At 4/24/2006 10:20:00 PM,

Doug, thanks for your welcome back. I have been inactive for a long time, but sometimes a great notion occurs to me, and I can't resist it.

Hopefully I will be more thoughtful and more sharing these days.

I think Amy's use of Ezra Taft Benson quotes is rather sophisticated of her, in a devious way, when writing to an audience of BYU undergrads. First, his church presidency (which came years after these quotes) makes him more well known than other vocal conservatives like J. Reuben Clark. Second, his tenure as president makes it all the more serious an offense for good Mormons to vocalize doubt, concerns, or even questions about the validity of his policy statements as doctrinal statements. Third, his somewhat well-known service in the US cabinet (even though it was as secretary of agriculture) makes many revere him as a political clairvoyant. This is a lethal recipe for rhetorical force against many Mormon students.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home