Monday, June 27, 2005

Bibliomancy

After a long silence, let me share a mission story:

I was sitting through a droll Priesthood lesson by a pretty smart Italian man. I had my scriptures, and the thought came to me that I should mark the passage in Joel 2 that says "I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit." I did it, then remembered the same verse was quoted by Peter in Acts 2, so I marked that as well.

The next evening, while tracting near our apartment, a man let us in to talk to us about his Catholic faith. He told me how he reads the scriptures. He asked for my Bible and said, "I stand it on the table like this, and open it and choose a verse, and that's the message for me." I had heard this before, and wasn't thrilled with the idea, but he did it, and opened up to--what else?--Joel 2:28-29. He read it and I told him that these prophesies are fulfilled in our day: with a young man that saw a vision, with aged prophets, and young men and women as missionaries with the spirit.

He wanted to move on to a verse that he could explain to us that would promote his faith, so he tried again. This time, the Bible opened to Acts 2, and he saw the selection I had highlighted in that chapter. I grew a little bolder and told him that those are the only occurrences of that message in the entire Bible, and that, by his rules, that was the message of God for him.

He replied that he wasn't interested in our religion, but would we like to stay a minute to join him for a raw bacon (pancetta) and mozzarella sandwich? I said of course, and we ate in unbearable pathos.


1 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 01:31:00 AM,

Adam Greenwood, if you read this, it now occurs to me that you might have done a post on T&S a few weeks ago either dealing with this mainly or secondarily. I hope you won't suspect me of blog piracy. It was just one of those treasured remembrances of the glory days when the Lord sometimes worked through magic before my eyes.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home