Tuesday, October 26, 2004

I know I am but what am I

In a recent conversation with a bitter ex-girlfriend, we discussed the fact that she thought I was a bastard. :) (it was actually quite entertaining) However, I realized that many of the things she thought about me (things I had done that made her mad, or made her feel bad) were not intentional on my part. I admitted some things were stupid but not meant to be hurtful, I just didn't realize it at the time. She, of course, didn't believe me but that got me to thinking: what's a better representation of oneself, your own view of what you think you are or other people's view of what they perceive you to be?

My opinion is that I know who I am better than anyone else, but I may not truly convey myself outwardly. Any thoughts?

5 Comments:

At 10/27/2004 04:58:00 PM,

Yeah, that's a tough one. I don't think you (one) can expect people to have the same perception of you that you have of yourself. It's just not possible. They don't know your history and they don't know your motives. I think an honest person is always the best judge of his or her own motives. But in a world where mind-reading isn't an option, to maintain relationships I think a little PR work is always in order, and that means figuring out how your image comes across. Obvious drawbacks aside, a brutally honest wife comes in pretty useful for that.
 

Posted by Chris

 
At 10/29/2004 10:01:00 AM,

I prefer the term "blunt" to "brutally honest" :) 

Posted by Janelle

 
At 11/03/2004 01:17:00 AM,

I think Chris is in for some "bluntness".

I was impressed by Heber J. Grant's comment that success meant being such a person that the better people know you, the more they will love you. Assuming you embody this definition of success, I suppose the secret is to find someone who can stand your presence until that person can see just what a special kind of guy you are. You ability to accomodate that discovery and your partner's patience are key elements of a successful relationship, I suppose.

And when she says she wants to be friends, it is not an attempt to get to know you better. Friends. Pffft. 

Posted by Mark Bentley

 
At 6/02/2005 12:57:00 AM,

The Bible is a mirror. Are you willing to look?

The heart [is] deceitful  above all [things], and desperately  wicked: who can know it? -- Jer 17:9.

In other words, we can fool ourselves. 

Posted by segaza

 
At 10/14/2005 03:40:00 AM,

Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home