Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Acronymania!

This isn't a sophomoric tirade against acronymy in the church; nor is it that sing-song "poem" (that's not what I would call it, however) that strains to fit the entire cow of mormon acronyms into one alphabet soup. If I had posted in one of those veins then my next posts would have to be on the gray question of caffeinated soda and changes made in scriptural puncuation through the years, and THE BIG ONE: consecration is similar to communism!

No, this is a post to exclaim my wonder. I found somehow a website called www.acronymfinder.com . I went there, and typed in LDS as a test. We were counted among the worthy. Then I pulled out a big gun--FHE--and to amazement, there it was Family Home Evening. This was unreal! So I came up with BYC (which apparently I had misunderstood) and it came up with Bishop's Youth Committee!!!! This amazing website got all three BYU campus with the -I or -H for Idaho and Hawaii. It got BoM for the Book of Mormon and, the true shocker: MIA as Mutual Improvement Association with the parenthetical note "(Formerly use the by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)" Is our acronymy that interesting or worthy of documentation? I am unsure about its officiality, and have heard occasional suggestions to avoid acronymy, as it is alien to those not of LDS faith/cultural experience.

16 Comments:

At 9/01/2004 10:37:00 AM,

What about EFY?

 
At 9/01/2004 11:47:00 AM,

Even EFY passed muster as a worthy acronym! The only I tried that didn't fly was PEC (Priesthood Executive Committee). What can't this acronym finder do?

 
At 9/01/2004 03:04:00 PM,

I'm beginning to wonder if a Mormon is behind this online acronym finder. It has all of the Church organizations (RS, EQ, HP, YM, YW) as well as mission titles (DL, ZL, AP) and all of the scriptures (BOM, D&C, PGP). While PEC did not make the list, PPI did.

That being said, can I have the last 20 minutes of my life back?

 
At 9/02/2004 10:39:00 PM,

"learning is for everyone; Especially for Yooooouth"

Good old EFY.

 
At 9/05/2004 09:41:00 PM,

Just a note to say ILJK (I Love Jason Knapp). "Especially for Yoooouth" actually made me laugh out loud (lol!).

 
At 9/07/2004 10:45:00 AM,

Upon further investigation of the acronymfinder.com website, I discovered that if one cannot find an explanation of an acronym for which he is searching, he can post that acronym with its accompanying definition. In other words, a bunch of curious Mormons already beat young Jason to the punch in searching for mainstream recognition of their group-specific acronymy when they--as I posit--quickly posted many Mormon acronyms and their meanings for all the gentiles to see.

I must regret that, because acronym finder allows any average Joe with a Dial-Up and a Dell to post definitions for acronyms, it may not be 100% reliable.

 
At 9/07/2004 03:52:00 PM,

Good work, NotoriousLIG. My research was admittedly superficial.

 
At 9/30/2005 09:47:00 PM,

Nice Blog!!! It looks like you've spent a fair amount of time setting it up and keeping the content fresh. I'll be sure to come back.

I have a online dating blog. It pretty much covers dating issue related stuff.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

 
At 10/02/2005 02:10:00 PM,

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going.

This may be of interest to you I have a free online dating service. It pretty much covers dating stuff.

I'll be sure to come back.

 
At 10/03/2005 05:37:00 AM,

Very nice blog, hard to come by these days,

If you have a chance, can you visit my Dating Ideas site


Thanks

 
At 10/04/2005 03:41:00 AM,

Hey I just love your blog. I also have a dating sim game
blog/site. I mostly deals with dating sim game
Please come and check it out if you get the time!

 
At 10/07/2005 05:41:00 PM,

You have a great blog here! I will be sure to book mark you. I have a debt loan site. It pretty much covers debt loan related stuff. Check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 10/08/2005 11:07:00 AM,

click for dating married

 
At 11/06/2005 10:54:00 PM,

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11/07/2005 10:29:00 PM,

If you want over 18 adults only dating then Swinger Dating is the site for you. Totally free too :)

 
At 11/29/2005 02:02:00 PM,

For those 'fortunate' enough to be a part of the GW squad, maybe we should throw Suter's class through the acronym-machine. It might make a little more sense.

 

:
:
:

BloggerHacks

<< Home